Teaching and Exams
I teach two lecture courses:
- Introduction to English Linguistics (with a focus on morphology, semantics, phonetics, phonology and syntax) and
- Varieties of English (with a focus on the history of the English Language and the sociolinguistics of English.)
I also teach a small number of introductory and advanced seminar courses every year, such as:
- Variationist Sociolinguistics: Analysing Language Variation and Change
- Interactional Sociolinguistics & Conversation Analysis: Analysing Spoken Language in Context
- English Norms and Standards from 1500 to the Rise of RP and General American
- Language, Gender and Sexuality
- Language, Attitudes and Discrimination
- English Accents and Dialects in Britain
- Pragmatic Markers and Discourse-Pragmatic Variation
- Cross-Cultural Communication
- Introduction to Psycholinguistics
- Phonetics and Phonology
Students interested in taking one of my classes should know that I stress student involvement and resource variety by using audio, video and textual stimuli in addition to online exercises and online reading quizzes. I also prioritise teaching research skills (e.g. questionnaire design, data collection, statistical analysis), as these are crucial for student employability in the future. My seminar courses are research-based, and I have published a methods book, very much with the student reader in mind: Doing Sociolinguistics: A Practical Guide to Data Collection and Analysis (co-authored with Miriam Meyerhoff, University of Wellington, NZ, and Laurel MacKenzie, New York University, US).
I was honoured for my commitment to teaching with the University of Salzburg`s Excellence in Teaching Award in 2018.
I am authorised to conduct final oral exams at all academic levels. If you are a student and would like to find out more about the examination procedures in the Department of English and American Studies at the University of Salzburg, please consult this document for the old diploma exam or this document for the MA in Linguistics/Language Sciences and the MA Lehramt English.